Here to Stay

Anatomy and Physiology teacher, Olukayode Akinsola, joins CAHS Staff

Olukayode A. Akinsola and Ana Ortega

Teachers at Cumberland may come and go, but one of the new teachers this year, Olukayode A. Akinsola, Jr. is here to stay.

The idea of becoming a teacher brought in the Anatomy & Physiology teacher, Mr. Akinsola because of his great deal of patience and the love of explaining concepts to people. Earlier this year, he worked hard to earn his masters degree in biomedical science and was looking for work when he moved with his wife and two kids to Tyler from central Pennsylvania. As he was searching for a position in the sciences, someone suggested that he check out the Cumberland Academy High website and he found that an Anatomy & Physiology position was open. ”I applied that day and was called in for an interview by Mr. Schodowski a week later. I was hired the very next day”, Mr. Akinsola said.  

When asked what his favorite part of teaching was, he said that he loves explaining complex concepts to students. “It’s very fulfilling when they get that “aha” moment and finally understand the concept that they’ve been struggling with for a while.”, Mr. Akinsola said. 

He also thought his students should know that he likes to present challenges for individual growth. The very best professor he ever had, Dr. Tuajuanda C. Jordan, who is now the president of St. Mary’s College of Maryland in St. Mary’s City, Maryland taught the hardest class he’s even taken. That class was biochemistry during his senior year of college. “She presented challenges to me as an individual and taught me lifelong lessons about perseverance, hard work, accountability, and discipline.” Mr. Akinsola said. Dr. Jordan’s influence has been long lasting on Mr. Akinsola and he seeks to mirror her level of rigor for his students. “She has been an invaluable figure to me. That is why my expectations are high for my Anatomy & Physiology classes.”, Mr. Akinsola said. 

Q & A

Q: If you could be in any sitcom, which would it be and why?

A: I think I will go with Black-ish. I’d actually like to play a teacher on that show, maybe teaching one of the twins, Diane or Jack. it would be fun to have an exchange with Anthony Anderson and Deon Cole! I love the humor on that show and the way that occasionally tackle thought-provoking issue in society. I’m not sure if everyone knows but I am 38 years old and when I was a kid I came up with “The Cosby Show” and “A Different World”. In a number of ways,  I feel like “Black-ish” and “Grown-ish” are this generations’ “The Cosby Show” and “A Different World”. So I really enjoy those two shows. 

Q: If a movie was being made about you, what actor would play you and why?

A: I think I think the best actor to play me would be Winston Duke “Black Panther” and “Us”. He’s a pretty big sturdy guy like I am, but as he demonstrated in “Us” he has a pretty soft and laid back side as well, which essentially represents my personality. 

Q: What childish things do you still do as an adult?

A: When I get home from work I tend not to put my shoes where they need to be. I leave them in the middle of the living room to my wife’s chagrin. I’m trying to correct that habit. I’m usually really tired when I get home!

Q: What is your favorite music genre?

A: Right now I have to say it’s rhythm & blues. Historically i’m a fan of hip hop & rap, but I think as I’ve gotten older, in the last maybe six years I’ve just really been drawn to music that is less popular. Right now I’m listening to a lot of LION BABE, Amber Mark, Moonchild and H.E.R. I also enjoy a lot of hip hop and rap from the 90’s, but like newer artists like Logic, Kendrick Lamar & J.Cole. I absolutely love classic soul and R&B from the 80’s and 70’s. Earth, Wind & Fire, Maze, The Gap Band, The Whispers & Con Funk Shun are some of my favorites from these eras.

Q: If you had an extra hour of free time each day, what would you do with it?

A: I’d spend time more time with my wife and kids, and dedicate more time to developing the website for my freelance graphic design business……more on this later!