Catching Stars

Theater students prepare for winter play

Catching+Stars

Benjamin Williams

Theater students are preparing to premiere their winter play titled “Peter and the Starcatcher” at the Performing Arts Center in January.

“Peter and the Starcatcher” is about the origins of Peter Pan and how he got into Neverland. The story follows Peter on the high seas of Mollusk Island. Peter starts as an orphan with his friend Molly. As their adventures continue, Peter and Molly overcome pirates and thieves in their quest to keep a magical safe away from evil. 

“This is a very interesting play, and who knows, you may see your theater friend!” said Jaiden Craig, a junior theater student.

There is a very clear message in this play about hope and overcoming. Peter and Molly go through many hardships throughout the story, but yet they always find a way out of the problem. This goes to show that if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.

“This play is very inspiring to those who are feeling down or upset. This will make you feel better!” said theater teacher Allison McGee.

The main stars in this play are freshman Jayce Montelongo as Peter Pan, and freshman Riley Forrester as Molly (Peter’s friend). Juniors Karla Bermudez, Anna Martin, Jesse McNeely, and Leila Shabazz round out the supporting cast. 

“These students have been doing theater through all their time at this high school, in other words they are phenomenal,” said Mrs. McGee.

The play starts January 16 and will be showing until the 18th, but depending on the situation with the performing art center in January, it may be held at the middle school or the performing arts center.

“We are hoping out so much that we will be able to perform the play at the student art center by January,” said Mrs. McGee. “It will so much more convenient.”

This play will be one of the more unique and inspiring plays that this school will do.. There will be a lot of things to relate to in this play.

“It is important for students to come and see this play because they may be able to relate to some of the characters,” said Mrs. McGee.